MULTIPLE THINGS TO DO BEFORE WE LEAVE:
- Upload a copy of your passport to Terra Dotta (UCM system) or email the copies/screen shots directly to Chrystal Brown (email@example.com) indicating that it is for the December 2018 Australia trip.
- Those traveling on the trip need to apply for and obtain an Electronic Travel Authority or ETA Tourist Visa before we depart. The visa process is done entirely online, the cost is AU$20 (approximately US$15), and is usually granted within 24 hours of application. Here is the link to the application and further information: https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas
- You also need to register your trip with the state department AFTER you have received your travel (ETA) visa. Register your trip here: https://step.state.gov/step
- Bring proof of receiving your travel visa AND registering your trip with the state department with you to class when we meet in October (more on this later – check email messages from Hansen-Horn@ucmo.edu).
- Check with your phone provider and decide how to handle your phone package/charges while we travel (the international charges can catch you unaware if you don’t plan ahead).
- Expect communication directly from Hansen-Horn@ucmo.edu about the trip in general.
- Also expect, and check, email from within Blackboard respective to the PR 4600 section/s in which you are enrolled.
- Save money for meals while we travel. None are scheduled in the plans contracted to the study abroad group–this should save you a lot of money. You are staying in a youth hostel and can cook if you want.
- Anticipate meeting a few times face to face in October. We will meet in the evening and schedule the meetings to (we hope) accommodate your schedule.
Students, apply now! You are not locked in until June 11, but you want to get a seat as soon as possible! https://ucmo.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=61087
Alumni and PR friends, apply now (cost includes everything but food): https://cecatalog.ucmo.edu/es/course/course.aspx?catId=56
For those already signed up to go with us:
A 10% bill (10% of the trip cost) willl be charged to your UCM account June 15, with a deadline for payment July 15. It will be just below $400. That’s all you have to pay this summer and then financial aid (all kinds) will kick in for fall payments. That said, if you need to figure out a payment plan or apply for additional study abroad financial aid, Nancy Anderson can assist you firstname.lastname@example.org.
UCM students from all majors, as well as UCM alumni, are welcome to join the UCM PR program in December 2018 as we travel to Australia in the height of the Australian summer. Graduate students can travel with us as well and receive graduate credit from the classes connected to the trip.
We’ve got a great study/travel abroad trip planned, lots of people to meet, behind-the-scenes-tours to take, a koala sanctuary calling our name, and professional training and development to pursue. Alumni and friends, we’ve put together an optional package of activities for you as well. Ask email@example.com about it if you are interested.
Total costs run from $3800-$4400 (this should cover your food, too). Elective activities such as the optional alumni (alumni ONLY) package and tuition for all participating students come with additional costs. We’re working hard to book a great cost-savings group flight! Note: We are estimating at the “high” end, which is an estimate of the money you will choose to spend on your meals and other things. You can control much of those costs! And, we’ve developed a scholarship fund that we hope our alumni and friends will fill…to scholarship some of each student’s trip. Here’s the link if someone you know wants to give: https://www.ucmfoundation.org/donation-pages/donation-form-pr-travel. Share it on all your social media sites…over and over again.
Students must enroll in 3-6 credits of PR 4600: Special Topics. We’re offering two PR (CRN 13900) PR 4600 PRomotion and Australia, and (CRN 13898) PR 4600 PRomotion and International Travel. PR 2620 is a prerequisite to PR 4600, but we will let any interested student in by “instructor consent.” Don’t worry, Dr. Hansen-Horn firstname.lastname@example.org will work with you to make sure you can enroll in the courses and, do well. Because the classes are restricted by the Banner system to “instructor consent,” it won’t let you self-enroll. However, a simple email to email@example.com that includes your 700# and which classes you want, will take care of it. She will notify you by email when you are enrolled.
June 11 is the final decision date. Apply as soon as possible to reserve your spot. Should the trip not make for some reason (and we are quite sure it WILL make), the university will refund all payments and deposits made up until June 15.
Those wanting to contribute to a scholarship dedicated solely to UCM students (all major, undergraduate or graduate) participating in the study abroad trip, can give to the designated foundation account found here (directing it to other as a drop down menu option): https://www.ucmfoundation.org/donation-pages/donation-form-pr-travel